19 October 2010

I am S.A.M.

I knew this would happen.

My race was Sunday, bringing my race/training season to an end for the year. So yesterday afternoon it hit me. My friend A called it Sad After Marathon or S.A.M. For me it's not really a sadness, it's just that let down feeling that happens after you put so much energy into something and then it's over. Most people can probably relate to the let down after the holidays or a vacation. It's a similar feeling, except it feels a bit bigger than that right now. I spend 10 months out of the year training for one race or another. It's such a big part of my daily life and it impacts nearly everything I do. And, then...nothing! I feel a little at loose ends.

Until I officially start training again in January for the River Bank Run, I know I'll ease back into a routine that's a little more relaxed - which is not to say that I'm always super regimented about my training, because I'm not. I'll find a balance again that works. I always do. The in between is just strange. I felt more sensitive than usual today - taking things somewhat personally that I normally wouldn't give a second thought to. Wanting things to hurry up and happen, inspiration to strike or wishing that things in my life were different when I'm usually at peace with things, knowing that everything falls into place when the time is right.

I spent 10 months preparing to run these different long distance races, I didn't just get off the couch and run. Life is like that too. Sometimes during the in between times, when it seems like nothing is happening, things really are happening, you just don't know it. It's not until later that you can put all the pieces together - even the in between times - to see everything happens exactly as it should.

3 comments:

RTL said...

Yeah. I hear ya sister. Literally and metaphorically. Chin up ROCK*

CurlyGirl said...

I always feel that way after Christmas....

Good for you though! I admire how much you have accomplished in your running.

said...

Wow, I love this post. So true on SO many levels.