07 October 2010

ArtPrize 2010 Day Sixteen, The WINNER

Annnnnd the winner of ArtPrize 2010 is.....

Chris LaPorte's Cavalry, American Officers, 1921

Congratulations to Chris and all the other artists who participated! I've known Chris as an acquaintance (friend of a friend) since back in the day. He went to Aquinas College with my one of my very best high school friends. They are still friends today, which is fantastic. This summer R & I happened to catch Chris drawing caricatures at Festival of the Arts. His ArtPrize bio says he's drawn close to 85,000 people in the last 18 years. R & I were lucky enough to have him draw us! Now that he's this year's ArtPrize winner, our chat with him while he was sketching and the finished caricature are all the more cool!

Of the pieces I picked for the#1 spot, Beili Liu's Lure/Forest Lure/Wave came in third. David Sprigg's Vision came in fifth. You can go here for a complete list of how the rest of the finalists shook out.

I was actually present for the big announcement tonight at DeVos Place. It was cool to hear the news firsthand, but the program itself was a bit...meh. I'm hitting the hay early tonight, but will tell you all about it tomorrow, I promise.

How are you feeling about Cavalry as the winner and about how the rest of the finalists stacked up?

3 comments:

RTL said...

I have mad respect for those who can do pencil rendering, especially on that scale. Chris' work definatly shows skill and artistic integrity. I'm OK with him being the winner of Artprize 2010. Not to mention what he has done with me and R*'s caricatures. He masterfully captured my dorky-ness and her beauty (dollar sign grill and all) with precise and deliberate strokes.

You've put in some serious Artprize hours the past couple weeks. Rest up R*. You deserve it. Good job to you for covering it so well. I almost felt like I was there.

and Congratulations to Chris LaPorte. 2010 Artprize winner!

Musings From The Edge said...

Thanks for your comments Rach! Although I was not in DeVos hall for the announcement the excitement at Rosa Parks Circle was real too! SO glad to hear that Chris won, my first reaction to his graphite sketch was that it was awesome in the truest sense of the word. Kuddos to him on his skill and taking home the big win! Very cool!

I was also very geeked to see both Lure/Wave and Vision in the top 5! It was my pleasure to have met and taken a candid shot with Beili. she impressed me with her quiet energy and response to a comment about her work looking tedious that it was in fact very meditative, which was my response to the completed work...my hope is that we could experience Lure/Wave up close and play with the room's energy and how that would impact the movement of the piece...

Robin Kreun said...

I happened to see it on opening night and I love it. Some artists create wonderful creative things the world has never seen and some photograph in a way that let's us see the amazing. To me this is a strange combination of the two. This piece a really was magnificent. At first glance I thought I was seeing a photograph - then I looked closer and saw each pencil mark. Wow.

I can appreciate all kinds of art and saw so many things that lit me up, was this my very favorite - no. But even my opinion of which one is changes with every recollection. I will tell you that if you haven't laid eyes on it I don't think you can appreciate fully.

later - r