23 February 2009

Oscars!

So the 81st Academy Awards have come and gone, again! The marriage of movies and fashion on a single evening in February has been a winter highlight for me for quite some time! This year's show was a little different - five past Oscar winners introducing the nominees in their category for the best actor/actress and best supporting actor/actress categories. I liked that better than the year's previous winners presenting video montages and the nominees names. It was more of a personal tribute for each nominee - and who doesn't like to hear nice things being said about them? I'd want it that way if I were up for best actress or best supporting actress!

I was pleased with most of the winners. Slumdog Millionaire was a big winner with eight awards. I actually saw and enjoyed the movie, so it was fun to see Bollywood take Hollywood by storm. I saw The Reader on Sunday, so I was also pleased that Kate Winslet won the award for best actress. I was pulling for Mickey Rourke after seeing The Wrestler on Friday and this interview he did on Charlie Rose. He just seems like an interesting guy who's been on quite a personal journey. My second choice was Sean Penn, so although I wanted Mickey to win, I was happy that it was Sean who beat him. He actually gave Mickey a cool shout out at the end of his acceptance speech. 

Sarah Jessica ParkerMarisa TomeiTaraji P. Henson
My dress picks. I like the 50's glamour feeling of Sarah Jessica Parker's Dior Haute Couture dress. Marisa Tomei's pearl gray Versace was beautiful, a layered orgami-like creation. Taraji P. Henson wore a deliciously textured/layered Roberto Cavalli gown that reminded me of frosting peaks.

Taraji P. Henson, Best Makeup, Oscars 2009
Favorite jewels! Taraji P. Henson wore this Fred Leighton necklace that was simply stunning!

No comments: