08 March 2010

Oscar Recap!

I stayed up way past my bedtime to watch all of the Academy Awards. Began watching red carpet coverage and grazing the snack buffet at A's house. Then on to my mom's for the rest of the Awards. Was not overly impressed with any of the dresses. It seemed like people were playing it safe. I saw minimal jewelry, hair that wasn't overly fussy - many down 'dos and a few fuzzy updos that I cannot, as a stylist, support. Yes, Jennifer Lopez, I'm talking about your hair. Several of the ladies rocked a complete, well thought out, well styled look though. I may not have been 100% in support of every detail, but here are the ladies who did it right.

Demi Moore in Atelier Versace
So Demi was a presenter and I think this ensemble is spot on for the job, nothing over the top. It's just pretty. I like the little bit of asymmetry happening in the skirt. Simple hair, a drop earring, matching clutch and fake tanner and she's in business. It seems summery and warm to me. Maybe that's why I like it so much. I'm longing for summer!



Sandra Bullock in Marchesa
Classic Hollywood glamour. I read somewhere online today that Sandra came dressed to win. I would have to agree. She's just classy. The dress with its intricate detail photographed much more gold than I think it actually is. You can see in the two pictures just what a difference there is. It looked more like the top picture in HD. Loved her hair, the red lip and the simple drop earrings. And I also loved her acceptance speech. It was funny and touching all at the same time. Loved that Jesse James looked a little teary-eyed too when she alluded to him.


Kate Winslet in Yves Saint Laurent
Not a very risk-taking ensemble, but overall the look is classically beautiful. Maybe she went more understated because she was only a presenter and not actually nominated this year. Last year was her big win year. I like the top of the dress and think as a whole it would have looked better with more of a full skirt. There were certain photos where the skirt looked like pants because of the way it's draped.


Mo'nique in unknown designer
Her hair and make up were beautiful. During a backstage interview Mo'nique said she wore the royal blue dress and the gardenia in her hair because Hattie McDaniel wore royal blue and a gardenia when she accepted her Oscar in 1940 for her role in Gone With the Wind. Cool.

Rachel McAdams in Elie Saab
This one will surprise A & K because as we were watching the red carpet coverage, I said the dress looked like throw up or a puddle with oil in it. Upon further inspection, I will amend my comment to the following: The cut and drape of the dress are beautiful. The choice in fabric/color seemed too washed out, not vibrant enough for the Academy Awards. I do think the dress would look much more Academy Award worthy if Rachel were rocking some serious jewels and/or had more dramatic make up.

Did you stay up for the whole show? Who wore your favorite dress? Any favorite moments from the telecast? I want to go see Crazy Heart and The Blind Side now while they're both still in the theater. Okay, for real, need to wrap this up since it's officially past my bed time again! Thanks for keeping me up, Oscar!

1 comment:

k said...

I really loved the dress Miley Cyrus wore. I thought it was young-looking, but still Academy Award show appropriate.