29 November 2010

Vegetable Tortellini Soup

The last few weeks I've been determined to make one dish before starting the work week that I can bring to work for lunches. Spinach & Artichoke pasta, anyone? This week I tried out a recipe for Vegetable Ravioli Soup I found a while back on delish.com. I modified it just a touch - cheese tortellini instead of ravioli, which didn't impact the flavor at all. The highlights - it's super easy to make, it's packed with veggies and it's so tasty I know I won't get sick of it eating it for lunch this week!

Vegetable Tortellini Soup

olive oil to coat the bottom of your soup pan
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
chopped onion (enough so that you have 2 cups total of chopped onion+red & green pepper)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
sprinkle of crushed red pepper
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups hot water (you could also use another can of vegetable broth)
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 small zucchini, chopped
1 cup (heaping) frozen cheese tortellini


Pour enough olive oil to coat the bottom of your soup pan, turn heat to medium. Add your chopped pepper, onion and garlic mixture. Saute for a few minutes. Add the crushed red pepper if you're using it. I used just a touch, if you like heat, add more! Add your can of tomatoes, broth, hot water and dried basil. Bring to a rolling boil. Add the zucchini. Cook for 3-5 more minutes. Add tortellini and cook as long as the package says. Enjoy!

No comments: