07 November 2010

Honey Wheat Bread

I've always been a little wary of baking any bread that has yeast in the recipe. All the recipes I've read seem so daunting. Believe me, there have been a ton of recipes not made over the years, as I read cookbooks and cooking sites and blogs for fun! What if the yeast is old and the dough doesn't rise?! Then you've done all the work and there's no bread-y reward.

Sometimes, in life and in baking, you just have to say "I'm going to do this, what's the worst that can happen?" That's what I did in attempting this Honey Wheat Bread recipe I found on Budget Bytes this week. With all the great step-by-step pics, I felt pretty confident I'd be able to conquer my yeast bread-baking fear.

I'm happy to report that the first loaf went so well, I decided to make a second loaf! It's my mom's birthday today (Happy Birthday & much love to you, mom!) and I joked with her a few weeks ago that I was going to get her a bread knife for her birthday - she totally needs one. So when I decided to give the recipe a try, I thought, "if all goes well, I can give her a loaf of the bread with the knife for her birthday." I couldn't not cut into the first loaf, so the second loaf went to mom! The second loaf turned out even better than the first, so practice does, indeed, pay off!

From the Fresh Starr Fish Kitchen, a few pics of Honey Wheat Bread baking process. That's butternut squash soup in the bottom right photo - check back in, I'll be posting the recipe tomorrow!

If you've ever wanted to try baking bread, head over to Budget Bytes and give her recipe a try.

No comments: