26 July 2010

Camp

The middle school I went to sent all its 5th graders to overnight camp. It was a three day, two night (from what I remember) adventure in the wild. Well, "wild" might be a stretch, but it was an adventure!

We stayed in cabins that were rustic. We made food in tinfoil packs over a fire. We made walking salads. Want the recipe? Take one lettuce leaf, spread a smear of peanut butter, sprinkle with shredded carrots & raisins. Roll, eat and enjoy. We did some sort of course through the woods that encouraged us to use senses other than sight. I believe we did some canoeing and campfiring. I do remember that it rained and that there was a cabin called Stargazer. Other than that, the details are a little sketchy. It was a loong time ago, all right?!

My two favorite camp movies are The Parent Trap, (the Haley Mills version, of course!). I love all the scenes at the camp and the camper hijinks. And really, how can you not love the whole, "What do you mean I have a twin I never met? Our parents are both still single? We should trick them into getting back together."



and a little known movie called Indian Summer, where adults who went to camp together as kids get together for one last stay at their summer camp located near Canada's Algonquin Provincial Park. If you haven't seen this movie and you have a love for camp, you should check it out.

Did you go to camp as a kid or maybe you were even a camp counselor? Do you send your kids?

1 comment:

k said...

LOVE the Hayley Mills version. So, so great.

I went to sleep-away camp as a kid and loved it.