21 September 2011

ArtPrize 2011 Opening Night

Hey, kids! Do you know what time it is? It's ArtPrize time again! I had so much fun last year seeing art, talking to artists and capturing images and then sharing them here that I'm going to do it again. I may not be able to get out as much as I did last year (I am training for my first marathon, hello! And this week alone I'll be running 40 miles, and working the day job, so, it's going to be tricky, but I'm going to try to bring you as much coverage as I can!

Let's get to it: (Click on any of the photos to see a larger view!)

Detail "Wall Drawing #3" (Screwed Rapids) by the Screwed Arts Collective
Showing at UICA

Detail "Wall Drawing #3" (Screwed Rapids) by the Screwed Arts Collective
Showing at UICA
One of the main reasons I love opening night of ArtPrize is that many of the artists are with their pieces and you can chat them up. I had a really cool conversation with Daniel Burnett, a member of The Screwed Arts Collective, about this GIGANTIC wall drawing, the creative process they employ as a group and about ArtPrize in general. He said the piece really is reflective of their time spent in Grand Rapids creating this site-specific piece. Rest assured, the group did not whip this up in someone's garage last year and truck it up here for a chance at the big money. This art is fresh, y'all! Go see it up close and chat with the artists yourself - they're here through Saturday. Also make a point to peek in the window as you sit in traffic these next two weeks at the light on Fulton at Division!

According to Me, by Nicola Renzi
Showing at UICA
If you haven't clicked on the link to this artist's profile, can you guess what the material is? It's a rubber band wall! In person, at first glance it did not look like rubber bands - more like some sort of fiber. I didn't think if it when I was standing in front of it, but I wonder how far you'd bounce back if you ran up and bounced off it. I would NOT recommend doing that unless you want to get tossed out of the venue on your ear, but imagine it, will you?! I talked to one of the collaborators who worked tying rubber bands together to form super long rubber bands that could stretch from a single starting point, travel up over that beam and back down to the starting point again. My fingers hurt just thinking about the days involved doing that. Then keeping them all orderly as you stretch and place each rubber band. Wow!

Detail "In Light of Suffering" by Daniel Van Duinen
Showing at GreenLion Gallery

Detail "In Light of Suffering" by Daniel Van Duinen
Showing at GreenLion Gallery
This piece is a must-see. Regardless of your religious or spiritual leanings, it's a piece that best seen in person - my meager photos don't do it justice at all because it's actually displayed in a near-circular fashion so that when you stand to observe the piece you become part of it, one criminal to your left and one to your right. ArtPrizers with good memories will probably recognize the artist's last name. It seems there's some talent in the family!

"Last Station" by Randy Van Duinen
Showing at GreenLion Gallery
This also is a must see, so you can take in the fact that this photo collage is printed on aluminum. The choice in print material really lends itself to the surreal subject matter. Being that I enjoy playing with cameras, I had the pleasure of chatting with the artist about his process and about HDR photography.

Yay ArtPrize! Did you get out tonight to experience the rush of opening night? Let the sleep deprivation begin! It's already WAY past my bedtime...I would love to share more, but I have to sleep now! Tell me what you saw that I need to see!



No comments: