26 September 2011

ArtPrize 2011 #2

Back at it! More ArtPrize! The following photos are from my quick visit downtown on Friday evening, September 23. The crowds were so thick! Yay for ArtPrize, but boo for this girl who just wanted to see some art! I had a small window of time to be looking at art in the first place since I had to be up early for my first 20 mile training run on Saturday morning and probably shouldn't have been traipsing around in the first place. I ended up ducking in to see a friend who was working and then heading home much earlier than I thought I would. My main ArtPrize Tweet of the night, "I might be over #ArtPrize."

Here are some share-worthy pieces from venues in the Heartside neighborhood:

American Portraits, Michael McCafrey
Showing at 48 West Fulton
Maybe it's because I've shot film before and still love how a contact sheet looks, but I found this piece and its hundreds of 35mm Kodachrome portraits to be quite captivating. I would have loved to spend more time taking in each portrait, but the crowds during my visit were a bit much in this small venue. Worth a visit though if you can get there.

Detail view - Dream Home, Ghost of a Dream
Showing at UICA
So even if you've only managed one visit to ArtPrize EVER, you've no doubt seen "art" made from other objects. Could be found objects, wine corks, pennies, nails, toothpicks, you name it and someone has probably made something out of it for ArtPrize. I'm not really a fan of such entries, and certainly don't think they're worthy to win the big prize, but this one was somewhat interesting. Lottery tickets. Add it to the list and scratch it off for next year. Really. Is it a commentary on the economy of greed and poverty that coexist in this country? I will admit I did not read the artist's statement.

Finding a Green Photo, Barbara Reimer
Showing at Calvin College (106) Gallery (106 S. Division)
Photos printed with coffee. I've printed black and white film in the dark room, so I can appreciate this piece for the images themselves and for the process. It's not easy to get a good black and white print and then if you're printing with coffee?! How does that even work?

Detail view - natura, Jo-Ann Van Reeuwyk
Showing at Calvin College (106) Gallery (106 South Division)
I remember a time when my grandmother had a vase full of the "silver pennies" this nest piece is made of. They're ridiculously delicate and I find them to be so pretty. Maybe that's why I liked this piece. It doesn't scream #ArtPrize to me, but I do appreciate the creation. This was just one vignette out of several that were on display, each one a little different, all using "natura."

131 N and 196 E Exit, Steven Vinson
Showing at CODA, 44 South Division
I'm obviously only presenting a limited number of images from my Friday night walk through a few ArtPrize spaces and I chose to feature this piece because it's a scene from Grand Rapids. Call it home turf advantage.

Under the Microscope, Slide: p(twelve)^3, Sarah Knill
Showing at CODA, 44 South Division
This piece reminded me a little of RH Giger's aesthetic. I like the fluidity and movement and that it's based on a microscopic view.

Pour Some Sugar on Me, Susan Mulder
Showing at CODA, 44 South Division
What exactly is going on here? Woman in Rococo-era finery being pelted with giant jelly beans? I can't decide if I like it or not. I love the colors and the size discrepancy - who doesn't love the idea of these giant jelly beans being real? The piece's title, is unfortunate though unless you actually have no idea that this is also a song title from an 80's hair band that I shall not name on this blog because I am NOT a fan.

Fear not, I am not over ArtPrize so I shall be sharing more of what I see with you. I survived my 20 mile training run on Saturday and was able to get out again for more ArtPrize on Sunday afternoon with some friends, so stay tuned for that update. I actually haven't voted for a single piece yet. I need to get on that. While I've seen some really nice work, I haven't felt super strongly about any single piece yet. There are no pieces haunting me with their beauty. I'm still waiting for that "wow" moment that I've had the last two years when coming across a truly amazing piece. Have you had your ArtPrize wow moment yet? Where? What piece? Do share!!

No comments: