18 July 2011

A Tale of Two Dogs

So let me tell you about how a tale of two dogs....as you may have read, I had a dog sitting gig last week.

I was responsible for two dogs while staying at my client's home, about five minutes from my own house. The gig lasted only for two nights beginning Thursday after work. I was done by about 10:30 a.m. on Saturday morning.

Mixed feeling pretty much sums up the experience. Going for a walk with them on Thursday night was decent enough, although one dog is a good walker, the other one would just stop and lay down mid walk, making forward momentum difficult to maintain. Playing ball with the dogs in the back yard was fun on Friday evening. We all had fun, but I don't know if all of it was enough to make me want to dog sit on the regular.

Here's the deal. I don't have my own dog or dogs because I'm gone, out and about and what not a lot and that fact alone would mean serious alone time for a dog or me cutting back on my out of the house activities. On Thursday night when I knew the dogs had been in the house all day, I felt like it wasn't really right to leave them again since it was my job to watch them. Same deal Friday night. It might be different once I got to know the dogs and what they could handle or if they were my own dogs and I knew what they were capable of. But this time, not so much. I felt a bit tied to the house.

Bottom line, I'm a single lady who likes to be out and about doing things, often at the spur of the moment. Being responsible for someone else's dogs while they're out and about doing things (granted this situation involves travel for work) seems a little off in my book.

I talked to my client while she was en route from her work trip and when she asked how things were going and if I'd be able to watch the dogs at the beginning of August, I told her what I had been thinking. She was understanding, which was cool. I may end up doing a couple short gigs to see if anything changes, but I probably won't be putting dog sitter on my resume as a permanent side gig.

I'm glad I've given it a try and am open to seeing if things change, since you never know how things are going to work. Some things work, some don't and some take a little bit to figure out.

No comments: