28 October 2013

Pumpkin Lentil Soup

So I mentioned in my last post that I need to up my food game. So in an attempt to do just that, I tried a new recipe that I'd like to share with you! Since the seasonal debut of Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte, it seems like there's pumpkin or pumpkin spice flavored everything, right? Since seeing this recipe in the September issue of Better Homes and Gardens, I've wanted to try it. I doubled the original recipe and made it vegetarian, but if you want to see the original, you can go here. (You have to log into their site to view, FYI.)



Pumpkin Lentil Soup

1 medium or half a medium sweet onion, cut into wedges
2 yellow sweet peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
1 cup lentils, rinsed and well drained
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger (this is a rough estimate, as I used a heap)
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
salt (the original recipe only called for salt and pepper as seasoning at the end, and I found it in desperate need of salt, so adding as it cooks is something I'd do next time)
48 oz. vegetable stock (I used a 32 oz box and a regular size can)
1 30 oz. can pumpkin puree

In a stock pot, cook onion, sweet pepper and lentils in oil over medium to high heat for 5 minutes, until onions just start to soften. Stir in ginger, curry powder, cumin, stock and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for at least 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Serves 8.

I ended up using a smaller can of vegetable stock in place of the second container of stock pictured. If you are serving a crowd, it would probably be fine to use two boxes. Your soup will just have a bit thinner consistency. 

Getting everything ready. 

Sauteing the onion, pepper and lentils. Make sure you rinse and drain the lentils before adding them to the pan with the onions and peppers. 



No comments: